Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tutorial for Thursday - Project Life Insert Card

One of my favorite things about Project Life is how you can truly customize it.  I've been getting more and more in to this aspect as I've plugged along and ScrapFX has really helped my journey with all the fabulous mini chippies they've come out with, their fun stencils and stamps, and the best part - the offering of super durable project life size cards that hold up to mediums fantabulously!!


This is the insert I'll be showing you how to create today.  I was prompted to create this after seeing the wonderful shots of my son from his senior photo session.  We have so many great photos I know I'll be adding some to my album and I want to be prepared with some inserts for when I do!  Of course this can really be suited for so many things though, don't you think?  Lets get started.
 
 
Step One: Begin by covering the Kraft Card, large (2013335 KL) with gesso.  Once that is dry completely, color the card with mists.  I used two colors and added some water to allow for the colors to run and blend a bit.  Note: If you are going to use water to blend colors make sure they will not turn in to a muddy mess.  For this background I wasn’t overly concerned with darker colors occurring as I wanted a grungy look, but for other projects I’d take a bit more caution. 
 
Set this aside to dry or you can use your heat gun. Note: If you use your heat gun, some warping of the card will occur.  It can be straightened out but less will happen if you let it air dry.
 
 
Step Two: Take a background stamp and randomly apply it to the dried background.  Use your judgement on what looks good and try to create some balance to this.  You don’t want to over do it though, leave some space open.
 
 
Step Three: Use some gesso and water on your fingertip to lighten up the area you are going to get ready to stamp on.  Do this by gently smudging the gesso around.  It will pick up the colors of mist and create the smoky effect you see underneath the stamped area in the above image.

Ink up the Cogs Stamp (2013284) with VersaMark ink and stamp in across the corner of the card.  Pour gold embossing powder over it.  Heat set.  Note: Don’t be bothered if some embossing powder gets on other areas of the card.  This will only add to the texture and grungy overall look.
 
 
Step Four: Apply Rub n’ Buff over the stamped area to tone down the brightness of the embossing and give it a more aged, grungy look.  If you don’t have Rub n’ Buff you could use inks.  Apply this randomly on a few other sections of the card also.
 
 
Step Five:  Color cheesecloth (you can use gauze) with some mist and apply to card.  Alter up a Vintage Plane (2013288) by outlining it with pen and adding some Distress Stickles to it.  Adhere over top of cheesecloth with twine underneath.  Draw a line of glue in pattern you desire twine to be in.  Adhere twine to glue line. Add text and outline with a pen.

This card would look great as is in a journal, as the cover of a mini, or just by itself as a tag of sorts don’t you think?

Here are a couple pages from my album where I've created custom inserts or portions of pockets to make my PL album more my own.  Like I've said in the past I love what I see in kits but I don't really have the budget to get in to them.  I have bought some actual journal inserts and what not, but I find myself reaching for them more for my cards and LOs than for my PL album.  


 Here you can see one of the inserts actually looks somewhat similar to the one created above.  Its so simple to use quick techniques and make something that looks unique, not to mention it matched my photo. ;)


Here the long portion of the insert was created by me.  I used stencils, paste, misting, NeoColors, and then added embellishments and a stamped sentiment over the top.  The photos were spruced up with phone apps and then printed out - such fun this adds I think.  

Stay tuned to the ScrapFX toward the end of the month where I'll be sharing my PL type take on a December album and how I'm gearing up!!  I will make it this year since I'm actually planning - ha! I'm also looking forward to the New Year and starting a 2014 book - what about you??  Any plans to join in this year?





1 comment:

  1. Great technique for the card and I can see it on a layout as well, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!